We all love the technology and the fun, magical Interest Graphs, but people tend to forget that Gravity is also made up of some pretty amazing individuals. We’d like to introduce them to you. The Meet The Graviteers series will share a brief inside look at the people that are Gravity.
State your name and title, please.
I’m Richard Buckingham, VP of Engineering at Gravity.
What do you do at Gravity?
I manage the engineering team, which means I help ensure people are working on the right kind of tasks for their specialties and that the work they are doing is prioritized according to the company’s priorities.
How long have you been with the company?
I have been with Gravity since December 2012.
What do you think makes Gravity unique?
It’s so cliche to say our culture, isn’t it? I think my department is probably the strongest technical team I have ever known, and probably the strongest in all of Los Angeles. What then makes us unique is the balance of our technical capabilities with great professionalism and execution, but we also have fun at the same time. In other words, we are not a bunch of uber nerds who just come to work, drink coke and leave.
What’s your favorite office snack?
Well since the snacks keep changing, I would say anything with chocolate in it is my nemesis.
How do you get your news every day?
Mostly Facebook and a little bit of Reddit. I try to ignore the news honestly, it’s depressing.
Quick! Pick one:
- Childhood dream job? I wanted to be a pilot in the UK Air Force.
- Surf or ski? Well, surf and snowboard.
- Sunrise or sunset? It would have to be sunset. Sunrise is too early.
- What is ‘Now Playing’ on your ipod/car stereo/spotify? I listen to a lot of eclectic crap music, like pop–maybe Katy Perry or Nicki Minaj. Otherwise, mostly music from 20 years ago like 90s electronica and stuff.
- Favorite American city? It would have to be Los Angeles.